Pic: Paul Chong
Location: Palakkad district is located almost at the center of kerela. It shares boundary with Thrissur District on the south and west, Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu in the east and Malappuram District on the north and west.
District Headquarter: Palakkad
Distance: Around 55km from Coimbatore, 160 km from Cochin, 383 km Thiruvananthapuram, 366 km from Bangalore, 350 km from Chennai, 247 km from Mysore, 306 km from Mangalore
Journey time: Around 9.5 hrs from Bangalore, 1 hr from Coimbatore
How to reach there: By flight to nearest airport to Coimbatore (55 km) or to Cochin (160 km), by train, by Kerela state bus, Karnataka state bus, private bus and private vehicle.
1. Bangalore to Palakkad: Bangalore – Hosur – Kathujuganapalli – Dharmapuri – Salem – Bhavani – Avanashi – Thirumalayampalayam – Palakkad
2. Chennai to Palakkad: Chennai – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Toppur-Salem – Sankari – Bhavani – Perunthurai – Avinashi – Coimbatore bypass – Walayar – Kanjikode – Palakkad
Where to stay:
1. Hotel Fort palace
West Fort Road, Palakkad
Kerala, India. PIN – 678 001.
Ph: +91 491 2534621
Fax: +91 491 2534625
2. Sree Chakra International
Ph: 0491 – 2570901 /02/03
3. Hotel Indraprastha
English Church Road, Palakkad
Ph: 0491 – 2534641
4. Hotel Tripenta
Ph: 0491 – 2815210 / 20
Where to eat:
1. Choice Restaurant
ITL HO Choice Family Restarant
11/385/(2) Robinson Road Palakkad
2. Fortview Restaurant
Jamshi Plaza 18/5/2,
Near Fort Maidan Palakkad
3. Sabla Restaurant
KTDC Beer Parlour Ktdc Ltd
Language spoken: Malayalam is the main language spoken in Palakkad. However, Tamil is spoken in the border areas of Tamil Nadu and understood by large number of people. English is spoken and understood to an extent.
The history of Palakkad trace to the rule of Chera kings, followed by Zamorins, Hyder Ali, Tippu Sultan and finally in the hands of British in 1872. Palakkad was made a separate district of Kerela in 1956. Palakkad is known as the gateway to Kerela through the palakkad gap which is a huge gap of 32 kms in the Western Ghat hills.
What to See:
1. Palakkad Fort: Palakkad fort is also known as Tipu’s fort. it was built by father of Tipu Sultan, Hyder Ali in 1766. The fort went to the control of British after the fall of Tipu Sultan in 1799. The fort is now a tourist destination and also acts taluk office. The fort also houses a Hanuman temple.
2. Malampuzha Dam Garden: Malampuzha dam garden is located around 10 km from palakkad. Malampuzha dam is built on Bharatapuzha river. It is a popular picnic spot with nice gardens, boating facility at the reservoir.
3. Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary: Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary is located around 135 km from Palakkad and it forms a continues range with Indira Gandhi National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu on the other side of the state border. A wide variety of species are found here and trekking is allowed with prior permission.
4. Silent Valley National Park: Silent Valley National Park has been declared a biosphere reserve and is an ecologically sensitive area. It is a biologists and adventures dream come true with wide variety of tree and animals. The park is located around 80 km from Palakkad town.
pic: Navin singh
5. Nelliyampathi: Nelliyampathi is a small hill resort located around 80 km from Palakkad. It also know as Ooty of kerela.
6. Attappady: If you are interested in seeing the local tribes – Irulas and Mudugars, then you can visit Attappady.
7. Walayar Dam: Walayar dam is located at the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerela at a distance of 25 km from Palakkad. One can visit a deer park 3 km from Walayar.
8. Sholayar Forest: The highest hill of Palakkad – Sholayar hill is located here. This area also has tea and coffee plantations and one can also see Sholayar dam and Athirapally waterfalls.
Pic: Paul Chong
9. Dhoni: Located around 15 km from Palakkad, the trek to Dhoni hill is a good 3 hrs and here one can see a waterfalls in a forested area.
10. Jain Temple of Jainimedu: On the western end of Palakkad this temple is located. It is one of the rare places where influence of Jainism still prevails.
11. Fantasy Park: On your holidays you can have some fun with your family or friends at Fantasy park. It is a water amusement park, located in Malampuzha around 10 km from Palakkad town.
Timings: 10 am to 7 pm everyday
Fare: Rs 250 for adult and Rs 200 for Children (No description given till what age they consider children). They also have special rates for students, College groups and families.
Neo Tech Amusements & Resorts Pvt Ltd.
8/585, Malampuzha, Palakkad, Kerala-678 651
Ph : 0491-2815122/23/24.
Tel/Fax : 0491-2815124
E-mail : email@example.com