Location: Kannur district is located in the northern part of Kerela. It shares boundary with Kasaragod District in the north, Kozhikode District in the south, in the east Kodagu and Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka and Arabian sea in the west.
District Headquarter: Kannur
Distance: Around 324 km from Bangalore
Journey time: 9 hrs or more by bus depending on the condition of road.
How to reach there: By KSRTC, KSTC and private buses. By train from Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, Mangalore, Trivandrum, Cochin etc.
2. Bangalore – Mysore-Gundulpet-S.Batheri-Mananthavady-Nidumpoyil-Koothuparamba-Kannur ( route 2 is longer by around 90 km)
Where to stay:
1. Malabar Residency (3 star)
Thavakkara Road, Kannur-670001
(1/2 km from Kannur railway station and 1 km from kannur bus stand)
2. Mascot Beach Resort (3 star)
Near Baby Beach, burnassery, Kannur-670013
(1.5 km from Kannur bus stand and railway station)
3. Royal Omars
Ph : 0091 497 2769091-96
Fax : 0091 497 2769096
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Budget but decent hotels —-
4. Perumal Tourist Home
Near Bus Stand, Payyannur, Kannur
5. Paris Presidency
Logans Road, Tellicherry -670101 Kannur
6. Yathri Nivas
Near police club, Thavakkara Road, Kannur
Where to eat:
1. Volga Restaurant
2. Rara Avis Restaurant
3. Flotilla Restaurant
NH 17, Koduvally, Thalassery
4. Taj Restaurant
C E-29/1057, S M Road
5. Parkans Chinese Restaurant
C E-28/8A, New Sub Way, Thavakkara Road
6. Kohinnor Restaurant
CC 29/825,M A Road
Language spoken: Malayalam, English, Hindi and Tamil
Kannur district is one of the most urbanized district in Kerela and with more than half of the population living in urban areas. During British time, it was called as Cannanore. Kannur district is said to be a part of the Chera kingdom which ruled early Kerela. Followed by Kolattiri Rajas, Portuguese, Dutch, Arakal kings, Hyder Ali/Tippu Sultan and Finally British. Kannur has been visited by early travelers like Marco Polo, Fa – Hien and Ibn Batuta. Vasco da Gama also visited Kannur during voyage of India.
Kannur district was formed in January 1 1957. It is a quite developed town with many things on offer. An international airport is coming up soon.
What to See:
Payyambalam Beach: Payyambalam Beach located around 2 km from Kannur town. It is a long beach with sea side garden. A must see white sand beach.
Baby Beach and Mopila Bay : It is called baby beach as it is smaller in size. It is located near St. Angelo Fort. Also, nearby is Mopila Bay – the center of earlier Kolathiri Kings. One can also see the Krishna temple and Kadalayi Fort.
Kizhunna Ezhara Beach: if you love solitude, then this beach is for you. Located around 11 km outside Kannur town offers peace, solitude, sand and roaring sound of sea.
In this regard you can try another beach in Azhikode called Meenkunnu Beach located few kilometers outside Kannur town.
Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach: It is Kerela’s only drive in beach. The 5 km long beach is located around 5 km from Thalassery and 15 km from Kannur town. There is an island called Green Island, which also adds to the view.
Little further in the sea, there is a small island called Dharmadam island. This a privately owned island and permission is required to go there.
2. Snake Park: The snake park is located in a small village called Parassinkkadavu around 16 km from Kannur town. A large variety of snakes are kept here including Cobra, king cobra, vipers, python etc. You can also see the popular Muthappan temple located nearby.
3. Aralam Wildlife sanctuary: Aralam Wildlife sanctuary is located around 55 km from Kannur town and was established in 1984. Spread over 55 square km the sanctuary boasts of leopard, elephants, deer etc. The highest peak in this range, Katti Betta rises upto Katti Betta 1145 meters.
4. St. Angelo Fort: The fort is located around 2 km from Kunnur town. It was built in 1505 by Sir Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India. The British finally captured it in 1790.
5. Madayipara: Is a nice country side with good views, ancient sites and various flora and fauna. Madayipara is about 21 km north of Kannur town and 8 km from Ezhimla Naval Academy. The Arabian Sea is only 2km from here.
6. Pythalmala: Pythalmala is a small hill station. This place is more than 1300 meters above sea level and a good place for trekking. Located on the Karnataka – Kerela border around 65 km from Kannur town. One can get a good view from the watch tower located there.