Location: Coimbatore is located on the central western part of Tamil Nadu. On the west and south it shares boundary with Kerela, on the north with Nilgiris district and Erode district, on the east with Tiruppur district of Tamil Nadu.
District Headquarter: Coimbatore
Distance: 330 km from Bangalore, 2167 km from Kolkata, 2401 km from Delhi, 902 km from Hyderabad, 452 km from Kanyakumari, 193 from Cochin, 449 from Mangalore, 201 km from Mysore, 371 from Pondicherry, 413 from Thiruvananthapuram.
How to reach there: By bus, train and flight. Flights are available from Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Delhi, Cochin, Trivandurm, Hyderabad etc.It also good train and road connectivity all major cities in India.
Journey time: Around 9 hrs by bus, 9.5 hrs by train and 1.5 hrs by flight from Bangalore.
Route: Bangalore – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur – Mecheri – Mettur – Ammapet – Andhiyur – Athani – Sathyamangalam – Annur – coimbatore
Need some adrenaline rush of adventure then take this route:
Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjangud – Chamarajnagar – Hassanur – Thimbam – Sathyamangalam – Bangalore
Where to stay:
1. Hotel City Tower
2. Mesabel Hotel
Near Nehru Stadium
Phone: +91 – 422 – 2380216, 4391935
3. Hotel Vaidurya
73, Geetha Hall Road,
(Opp. to Railway Station)
Phone: + 91 – 422 – 4297777
4. Hotel Rathna Residency
Variety Hall Road,
Phone: 91 422 4225666
5. Hotel Aiba Regency
Geetha Hall Road,
Opp. Railway Station
Phone : 0422 – 2303737, 2303747, 2303757
1. Hotel Raamus
65, Devi & Co, Lane
Opp to Railway Station
Phone: 0422- 43 93 000, 43 93 311
2. Hotel Vinayak
Geetha Hall Road, (Opp. Railway Station)
Phone: 0422-4391234 – 38, 9486555555
3. Hotel Marian International
Arts College Road
Phone: 0422 – 3914445, 46, 47
Where to eat:
1. Hari Bavan
RTO Road & Gandhipuram 4th Street (serves good non veg)
Near TownHall ManiKundu (serves good non veg)
3. The Village
Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (serves good south Indian beg food)
4. Patti Amma Dosai Kadai
Near Gem Hospital or archana darchana theater GandhiPark (various types of dosas – open only in the evening)
5. Burma Bai Barotta Kadai
Nehru staduim – Near Boomerang Ice cream (Serves good non veg – open only in the evening)
6. China town
Nehru staduim in the road between the park gate (Serves good non veg items including chilly pork – open only in the evening)
7. Four season
Non sakthi highway at karattumedu ( serves veg and non veg items – opens in the evening till mid night)
Language spoken: Tamil is the main language. Malayalam is spoken and widely understood. Other spoken languages are Telugu, Hindu and English to an extent.
Coimbatore is the second largest city of Tamil Nadu after capital Chennai. It is one of the most industrialized city in India which manufactures various hardware, automobiles and textiles. Due to its proximity to Nilgiri hills and nigh altitude it has a good climate though out the year.
What to See:
1. Monkey Falls, Aliyar: Monkey falls is a beautiful water falls located around 2 km Aliyar dam on the way to Valparai. Little further there is a view point to see panaromic view of Aliyar dam and Deccan plateau.
2. Aliyar Dam, Near Pollachi: To reach Aliyar dam one has to take a 45 minutes of journey to Pollachi and from here again another 1.5 hours journey. It is a nice picnic spot and features garden, park and off course the dam. Many south Indian movies has been shot here.
3. Salim Ali Ornithology Centre, Anaikatty: In 1990 Salim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History was opened at Anaikatty Post around 24 km from Coimbatore on around 55 acres of land by government of India. It is national centre for information, education and research in ornithology and natural history in India. As honour to great Indian orinthologist it was named after Salim Ali. For more info visit their website: http://sacon.org/
4. Kovai Kutralum, Siruvani Hills: Also, know as Siruvani falls as it is formed by Siruvani river which flows from Siruvani hills. Siruvani water falls is located around 37 km from Coimbatore city in the midst of dense forest. Visitors are prohibited here after 5 pm. Also near by is Siruvani Dam near Walayar dam.
5. Black Thunder: Black Thunder is a small water park located around 40 km from Coimbatore on the way to Ooty.
6. Kovai Kondattam: Kovai Kondattam is an amusement park located on the outskirts of Coimbatore. It features various games & rides, water park etc.
Address: Kovai Kondattam Pvt Ltd
2/347, Siruvani Main Road,
Coimbatore – 10,
Ph: 2606852, 2606853
7. Valparai: Valparai is a beautiful small hill station on the Annamalai hill range. It is located around 64 km from Pollachi and 95 km from Coimbatore. Valparai is surrounded by various reserve forests like Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary. At over 3,500 feet above sea level, it offers commercialized view of nature. Check what to see there.
8. Botanical Garden of Tamilnadu Agricultural University: It is located in Pudur near Coimbatore.
9. Horticulture Farms, Kallar, Near Mettupalayam: Kallar Horticulture Farm is a Tamil Nadu government administered horticulture farm. It falls on the way to Ooty. To reach there you can board any bus to Ooty or Coonoor.
10. Vaitheki Falls, Narasipuram: Vaitheki falls is situated in Narasipuram around 35 km from Coimbatore city. Also, nearby is Isha Yoga center and Coimbatore IT park.
11. Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary & National Park (Top Slip): Topslip is located around 35 km from Pollachi, 65 km from Valparai and 75 km from Coimbatore. Here you can see Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary and Anamalai Tiger Reserve apart from Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary & National Park. One can also stay here.
12. V.O.C Park: V.O.C park and zoo is located in Coimbatore. It is small park and has a miniature zoo.