Location: Alappuzha District shares boundary with Ernakulam district in the north, Kottayam district and Pathanamthitta District in the east, Kollam District in the south and Arabian sea in the west.
District Headquarter: Alappuzha (Earlier known as Alleppey)
Distance: 37 km from Kottayam, 63 km from Ernakulam, 159 km from Trivandrum, 64 km from Cochin, 593 km from Bangalore,
Journey time: Around 9 hrs by Bus
How to reach there: By KSRTC bus, private bus, train or by flight upto Kochi and then 54 km of road travel to Alleppey
Route: Bangalore – Hosur- Dharmapuri – Salem – Coimbatore – Palghat – Ernakulam – Alleppey
Where to stay:
1. Lemon Tree Vembanad Lake Resort
Jana Sakthi Road, Kayippuram
Muhamma, Alleppey 688525, Kerala
Telephone: 91 478 2861970
2. ALLEPPEY PRINCE HOTEL
A.S Road (N.H.47)
P.B. NO . 2613, Alleppey – 688007
Phone: 0477 224 3752 to 224 3757
FAX : 91-477-2243758.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Pagoda Resorts
CCNB Road, Chungam
4. Alleppey Beach Resort
Beach Road, Alappuzha
5. Royale Park
Y.M.C.A.Road – Alleppey
6. Villa Brook Heritage Home
Near Cullen Bridge – Alleppey
Where to eat:
1. Thaff Restaurant
2. Aryas Vegetarian Restaurant
Palace Road, Alapuzzha,
3. Vijaya Restaurant, Jetty Rd (veg)
4. Indian Coffee House, Mullakal Rd
5. Annapoorna Restaurant, Jetty road (veg)
Language spoken: Malayalam. Hindi and English is spoken and understood to an extent
Alappuzha was know as Alleppey during the British rule and the name was changed to current one only in 1990. It is the smallest district in kerela but has the highest population density. Alappuzha has been visited by foreign travelers since ancient times. It has large number of temples, mosques and churches.
What to See:
1. Pathiramanal: Pathiramanal is an island in Vembanadu lake in between Thaneermukkom and Kumarakom. This island houses scores of migratory birds and can be visited by a boat.
2. R-Block: These are reclaimed land for cultivation and habitation from the backwaters protected by dikes. Boat cruise in the canals here is a must.
3. Karumadikuttan: An 11 century statue of Lord Buddha is located here.
4. Kumarakodi: Great Malayalam poet Mahakavi Kumaranasan’s grave is located here around 20 km from Alleppey.
5. Saradha Mandiram, Mavelikkara: Saradha Mandiram was the residence of Travencore king Rajaraja varma. It has now been converted into a museum by the Kerela state government in his memory.
6. Krishnapuram Palace: Built in the 18th century by Travamcore royal Marthandavarma, this place has extensive architecture of murals and paintings based on the story of Gajendramoksham. It is located at karthikappally, Kayamkulam.
7. Alappuzha Beach: Here a pier extends into the sea so that one can get an all round view of the sea. The pier is over 100 years old. Entertainment facilities are available at Vijaya beach park, a small light house etc makes it a good picnic spot.
8. Sea View park: It offers boating and a swimming pool.
camera fee: Rs 15
Video camera: Rs 100
9. Revi Karunakaran Memorial Museum: Revi Karunakaran Memorial Museum is located on NH 47 near power house bridge.
Timings: Tuesday to Sunday (Monday holiday), 9 am to 2 pm
Lastly you should experience various boat cruise on the backwaters by the District Tourism Promotion Council.